Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/12/12, 07:49

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2015/01/14, 21:44 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
I was watching Adam's video Duality: Physical Platformer, and I tried to do the most physically correct approach for a platformer game.

However, I didn't understand what he was doing because the video was accelerated, and, trying to replicate what he did, my character does not work the exact same way as his.

Can any of you explain me how to do it, please?

PostPosted: 2015/01/14, 22:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
RockyTV wrote:

Honestly, I think it isn't worth it to elaborate in detail. I was experimenting with the concept myself back then and wouldn't recommend anyone to do it the way I did - which was basically, creating a compound object of two GameObjects with RigidBodies, which were joined together using a physics Joint that the player would unknowingly apply a rotational force to. The players avatar would move on wheels - including all of the usual problems that wheels might have, like losing friction or getting stuck. :rolleyes:

I've also come to the conclusion that platformers simply are not built to be physically correct. Sure, there's Limbo and the like, which do make a good use of physics - but it goes only so far. When doing a platformer, making character controls feel good should be your first and foremost priority.

So, here's my advice: Just create a simple GameObject with a RigidBody, set its mass to a fixed value and then move it by applying forces, impulses and velocities directly. Do whatever it takes. Screw physics, unless it's useful. ;)

Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly how to create good character controls, because my experiment ended with the video you're mentioning :| Instead, here are some hopefully useful links:

Don't be confused about all this "Box2D" talk - Duality uses a custom fork of the Farseer physics engine, which is basically an improved C# implementation of Box2D. They are definitely not to be considered equal, but very similar - you can use a lot of Box2D advice for Farseer / Duality physics as well!

PostPosted: 2015/01/14, 23:05 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Adam wrote:
RockyTV wrote:

Honestly, I think it isn't worth it to elaborate in detail. I was experimenting with the concept myself back then and wouldn't recommend anyone to do it the way I did - which was basically, creating a compound object of two GameObjects with RigidBodies, which were joined together using a physics Joint that the player would unknowingly apply a rotational force to. The players avatar would move on wheels - including all of the usual problems that wheels might have, like losing friction or getting stuck. :rolleyes:

I've also come to the conclusion that platformers simply are not built to be physically correct. Sure, there's Limbo and the like, which do make a good use of physics - but it goes only so far. When doing a platformer, making character controls feel good should be your first and foremost priority.

So, here's my advice: Just create a simple GameObject with a RigidBody, set its mass to a fixed value and then move it by applying forces, impulses and velocities directly. Do whatever it takes. Screw physics, unless it's useful. ;)

Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly how to create good character controls, because my experiment ended with the video you're mentioning :| Instead, here are some hopefully useful links:

Don't be confused about all this "Box2D" talk - Duality uses a custom fork of the Farseer physics engine, which is basically an improved C# implementation of Box2D. They are definitely not to be considered equal, but very similar - you can use a lot of Box2D advice for Farseer / Duality physics as well!

Thanks! Will take a look later. At the moment I'm using Transform.MoveBy, since I don't want the character to keep walking when it should be standing still. However, I've come across a problem: if you keep jumping, and walk, at the same time, you'll eventually "fly". I don't know how to fix that, tho.

PostPosted: 2015/01/14, 23:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
At the moment I'm using Transform.MoveBy

When you're using a RigidBody, a better way would be to just set the RigidBodies LinearVelocity property to the value you want. Otherwise, your RigidBody will "sink into" barriers when you push hard enough - because Transform just override physical behavior and collision detection.

As for the flying problem, you should only let the player jump when their avatar has contact with the ground. To check that, you could do a physics raycast using RigidBody.Raycast, to see if the characters feet are on the ground.

PostPosted: 2015/01/14, 23:37 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Adam wrote:
Quote:
At the moment I'm using Transform.MoveBy

When you're using a RigidBody, a better way would be to just set the RigidBodies LinearVelocity property to the value you want. Otherwise, your RigidBody will "sink into" barriers when you push hard enough - because Transform just override physical behavior and collision detection.

As for the flying problem, you should only let the player jump when their avatar has contact with the ground. To check that, you could do a physics raycast using RigidBody.Raycast, to see if the characters feet are on the ground.

I thought it would be similar to Unity's Physics.Raycast, but it is not quite the same. Can you give me an example?

PostPosted: 2015/01/14, 23:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The DualStickSpaceShooter project uses a lot of Raycasts for AI and certain gameplay checks. Here's a line-of-sight check as an example on how to use the Raycast method: Link

You're basically passing a delegate that handles each Raycast hit and provides information on what to do with the ray in further calculation. It is documented here what effect each return value has. Optionally, the Raycast method cal conclude by returning the first hit object - which you can use for your gameplay logic.

It will take a little bit of experimenting on your side to do this - as your requirements are quite specific, there is no general solution to this, but you'll have to engineer one that fits your needs.

PostPosted: 2015/01/15, 00:22 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Adam wrote:
The DualStickSpaceShooter project uses a lot of Raycasts for AI and certain gameplay checks. Here's a line-of-sight check as an example on how to use the Raycast method: Link

You're basically passing a delegate that handles each Raycast hit and provides information on what to do with the ray in further calculation. It is documented here what effect each return value has. Optionally, the Raycast method cal conclude by returning the first hit object - which you can use for your gameplay logic.

It will take a little bit of experimenting on your side to do this - as your requirements are quite specific, there is no general solution to this, but you'll have to engineer one that fits your needs.

Experimented it, didn't work as expected :(, still has the same bug. I'll see if I can fix it.

EDIT: actually, it wont detect that I'm on the ground object...
EDIT²: found out the issue (hopefully!). My character is standing on the ground, and its transform.Y value is -77, while the ground's transform.Y value is 28. Will have to do use some advanced skills here to fix this.

PostPosted: 2015/01/15, 09:34 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
What I have found to work the best was just using a box for the body and a circle for the feet of the character. Just like adams tutorial. But lock the rotation on the fixtures of the body and apply some damping instead. Just move it by applying forces. As simple as that.

I had some scenarios where a wanted more control of the movement, which can be done by manually setting the linear velocity.

It looked like this:
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B1nBN_uIcAAlPl4.mp4

PostPosted: 2015/01/15, 14:25 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

skoggy wrote:
What I have found to work the best was just using a box for the body and a circle for the feet of the character. Just like adams tutorial. But lock the rotation on the fixtures of the body and apply some damping instead. Just move it by applying forces. As simple as that.

I had some scenarios where a wanted more control of the movement, which can be done by manually setting the linear velocity.

It looked like this:
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B1nBN_uIcAAlPl4.mp4

I don't know how to set it up, so I'll just go with the linear velocity approach. Thanks anyways.