Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/08/17, 23:36

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: A Closer Look at Duality
PostPosted: 2015/11/03, 19:59 

Role: Observer
See next post due to spam protections and inability to link which would make the entire post pretty pointless. ;)

PostPosted: 2015/11/03, 20:00 

Hey all, I run the site GameFromScratch.com, a source for game development tutorials, guides and news. Just a quick FYI that I just featured Duality in the Closer Look at Series. A closer look is a combination of review, overview and getting started tutorial aimed at helping developers decide if a given engine is right for them. There is also a video based versionas well.

I also posted a conversation up on /r/gamedevif you are interested in joining in.

Cheers,
Serapth/Mike

PostPosted: 2015/11/03, 20:25 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Welcome to the forums! hsnabn linked your article in a previous post in the Offtopic section.

All I can say is that the guide is pretty much just covering the basics of Duality, yet it is very good. I don't know if you actually write tutorials for other editors, but it would be interesting if you taught how to make a simple game with the editor.
(don't take it on the negative side, your guide was basic but yet it explained the basics of Duality's functionality in a simple way? I don't how to describe it, but it is a good guide you wrote there! good job!)

As always, I hope you have a great time with the engine!

PostPosted: 2015/11/03, 21:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Ah, just saw the other post by hsnabn first - I didn't realize you posted yourself here as well ^^ Just started to watch the video, but in any case: Thanks for doing an episode on Duality! Really appreciate it :)

PostPosted: 2015/11/05, 22:13 

RockyTV wrote:
Welcome to the forums! hsnabn linked your article in a previous post in the Offtopic section.

All I can say is that the guide is pretty much just covering the basics of Duality, yet it is very good. I don't know if you actually write tutorials for other editors, but it would be interesting if you taught how to make a simple game with the editor.
(don't take it on the negative side, your guide was basic but yet it explained the basics of Duality's functionality in a simple way? I don't how to describe it, but it is a good guide you wrote there! good job!)

As always, I hope you have a great time with the engine!

Yeah, time constraints make me have to pick and choose what to cover, so I try to focus on the most telling points of the engine. I put a bit of code in so people have an idea what to expect, but going much more in depth on code is incredibly time consuming when I set a word/time budget on the entire thing.

I do occasionally make tutorials about editors I've covered, a lot of time I let the results of the closer look indicate the level of interest. Of course too there are time limits, so certainly no promises.

PostPosted: 2015/11/05, 22:14 

Adam wrote:
Ah, just saw the other post by hsnabn first - I didn't realize you posed yourself here as well ^^ Just started to watch the video, but in any case: Thanks for doing an episode on Duality! Really appreciate it :)

We are even then, I hadn't realized there was the other post! ;)

No problems, you've created a nice engine here. I hope the series and reddit conversation provide a bit of boost in exposure. Duality seemed well enough received and response to the guide has been pretty positive over all.