Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/01/28, 18:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2015/11/05, 11:09 

Role: Hobbyist
Hi guys,

I've recently stumbled across this engine and it seems really nice and integrates well with my workflow(Visual Studio etc.).

I also really like the features that it provides and how nearly everything can be done in one efficient enviornment.

I have a few important questions however that I need to know for the project I am planning at the moment.

First, is it possible to be able to deploy cross platform with this engine, or at least, is it in the development plan for the future by any chance?

Second, is their any sort of support for making an online game that enables users to log into a server and interact with other players?

Thanks for your time, this engine is looking really good and I am really excited to play around with it and hope it advances further :)

EDIT: Also forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section, I have no clue where this should go...

PostPosted: 2015/11/05, 11:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey, and welcome to the forum!

Let's get right to your questions:

inseushu wrote:
First, is it possible to be able to deploy cross platform with this engine, or at least, is it in the development plan for the future by any chance?

Is it possible? Yes. But not out of the box.

With v2.0, Duality has been redesigned with cross-platform support in mind: The core library and all plugins (official ones, third-party, your game code) are .Net Portable Class Libraries, so they don't care that much which platform they're on*. So that part is fine.

*In case you don't know how a PCL works, don't read this as "Adam said it will run", but learn what it does and draw your own conclusions: The idea on a PCL is only using a subset of the .Net framework which is, "by contract", implemented on all of X target platforms. Duality uses PCL Profile 111, so X includes .Net, Mono, Xamarin.

What you, as a cross-platform developer, will need to provide is the link between Duality and the platform it is running on, and you can do so by providing backend plugins and a custom launcher. The launcher should be really quick to do, as it doesn't contain much code and has a mostly trivial job. The backend plugins implement a predefined core API for doing the lowlevel stuff like accessing the file system or submitting a drawcall.

So that's the deal: You don't need to port engine, game code or other plugins, but instead implement a backend API that matches the platform you're deploying to. Keep in mind that, since this has been only tested on Windows until now, it would be a good idea to approach this topic with its due respect and expect the unexpected. ^^

Note: Since Duality by default uses an OpenTK backend, which already has been designed with multi-platform support in mind as well, this could turn out to be another bonus for providing the backend to Desktop platforms at least.

inseushu wrote:
Second, is their any sort of support for making an online game that enables users to log into a server and interact with other players?

Nope. There is support for you doing that part yourself though - Duality is a very open, modular framework that is based a lot on plugins and treats your code the same as it does its own.

Regarding both questions, maybe look at it this way: Duality is not (like, for example, Unity) a finished product from a shelf which you buy and get everything you might need one day at once. It doesn't try to be the magic device that solves all problems a user could potentially have, but rather provide the means so any user can expand the existing basis as he needs - and then, if he likes to, share that expansion with others. :)

Also, I don't have the Resources to do everything at once. :D

inseushu wrote:
Thanks for your time, this engine is looking really good and I am really excited to play around with it and hope it advances further :)

You're welcome - happy developing! :D

PostPosted: 2015/11/05, 12:15 

Thanks for the reply Adam, you have answered my questions really well :D

Take care :)

PostPosted: 2016/04/12, 12:01 

Did someone managed to implement the backend and the launcher for Xamarin iOS/Android already? :rolleyes:

PostPosted: 2016/04/12, 18:38 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
mikeg wrote:
Did someone managed to implement the backend and the launcher for Xamarin iOS/Android already? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure, but there's been an active fork of Duality by batbuild (AFAIK the creators of Onikira) that was getting Duality to work on Android. Take a look for yourself: https://github.com/batbuild/duality

PostPosted: 2016/04/12, 18:48 

RockyTV wrote:
mikeg wrote:

I'm not sure, but there's been an active fork of Duality by batbuild (AFAIK the creators of Onikira) that was getting Duality to work on Android. Take a look for yourself: https://github.com/batbuild/duality

Thanks, I'll take a look.

It's a must to have them implemented for such a great engine! :)