Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/07/17, 07:44

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: 2016/06/19, 16:27 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
hsnabn wrote:
The Tilemap plugin is coming together very nicely, I'd say. It's probably completely functional now, I think.

We should organize a tileset based game jam when the plugin is released!

PostPosted: 2016/06/19, 16:32 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
RockyTV wrote:
We should organize a tileset based game jam when the plugin is released!

Full support here!

Great job on the plugin, I really like what I see here. Opens up a whole new world of possibilities :]

PostPosted: 2016/06/19, 17:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Thanks guys :) With tilemap collisions working now, I'd indeed consider the plugin fully functional in first iteration and am approaching a first release. That game jam sounds like an awesome idea. Let's give it a few weeks testing and getting to know the plugin, and then organize something.

PostPosted: 2016/06/21, 08:36 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

That sounds good! I'm in! :)

PostPosted: 2016/06/26, 14:32 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hey!
Could you give me some input on how to use the tilemap plugin? I've already invested some time into it, but couldn't even render something properly. One thing I have to say, that this stuff is rather complicated, definitely not newbie-friendy, thus we'll need in-depth tutorials once it's 'officially' out.
My main problem is (and I'm not sure if I did something wrong or it's a bug), that the TileMapRenderer component seems to render the whole tilemap with the color of the top left pixel of the used tilemap texture, even though I set the source tile size property correctly. The collision tab on in the tileset editor gives the error message visible on the screenshot attached, and after deleting and reassigning the rendering input, the tile palette went missing.

Well, do you know what did I break? Or are these just bugs?
thanks in advance

screenshot

PostPosted: 2016/06/26, 14:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could be bugs! Can you upload your project somewhere so I can have a look and debug it?

PostPosted: 2016/06/26, 15:06 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sure, thanks!
At least the tile palette has been fixed by restarting the editor.
edit: debug binaries instead of release : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mii1olsah7v534g/Debug.zip?dl=0

PostPosted: 2016/06/26, 15:53 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congratulations! You found one bug and one severe usability issue :D Fixed them both, you can get the new version from the branch as before.

The one with the exception error log was a bug that could occur when editing collision info of a new tilemap, the other one was having nonsense ids for newly created visual layers: On a Tileset, Visual Layers determine what kind of texture data will be passed to the rendering pipeline. In the default shader, only mainTex is evaluated, yet the default id for a new VisualLayer was something else. Since you didn't change it manually (and why would you, not knowing this), the TilemapRenderer basically didn't pass a usable texture to the shader.

One more thing: When creating a new Tilemap Component, make sure to assign a Tileset to it! Otherwise, it's able to store all the data, but the TilemapRenderer won't be able to do anything useful with it.

Edit: Added some more changes that should improve selection behavior of the Tileset Editor and Tile Palette.

PostPosted: 2016/06/26, 16:31 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Great, it works like a charm now! Thanks for the quick fix! :]

PostPosted: 2016/07/09, 13:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Allright everyone, it is done. The tilemaps branch has been merged back into the master branch and is now available to everyone who is compiling Duality himself. If you haven't done that before, just clone or download it from GitHub and compile the Duality.sln solution in Visual Studio. Done!

Now, before releasing the tilemaps plugin as a set of packages, I'd like to gather as much feedback as possible on this:

1. How does the editor workflow feel? What can be improved?
  2. How does the core API for tilemaps feel? Is anything missing?
  3. Do you think the sample is illustrating how to use tilemaps sufficiently? Why or why not?
  4. When you set up a new project from scratch and want to use tilemaps for this, how would you do it? How hard or easy is it?
  5. Are there bugs? Usability issues? Glitches? Tell me!

You can have a quick look if you recompile the solution and the select the Tilemaps Sample as a startup project, then hit play in Visual Studio.

To get a more thorough insight, I'd suggest to just launch the editor and set up a quick testing project using tilemaps from scratch. Doesn't have to be the Rpg-Like perspective thing, could also be side- or topdown view.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next