Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/11/21, 04:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: 2016/05/27, 21:30 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
A little bit more progress on the tilemaps plugin. First, here's a screencap of the tileset editors depth- and collision layer modes:

Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]

Also spent some time on the tilemaps sample and created a map to walk around in, as well as a (very simple) character controller and a camera following it:

The camera will smoothly follow the player character, but stop at the edges of the current map.

PostPosted: 2016/05/28, 17:00 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Adam wrote:

The camera will smoothly follow the player character, but stop at the edges of the current map.

Is that a physics driven controller? It looks amazing!

PostPosted: 2016/05/29, 12:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, physics-driven. But very very simple so far. I want to explore other movement and friction model at some point, maybe there are some that feel more natural. Also will have to see how well they work combined with animation :)

PostPosted: 2016/06/07, 20:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've pushed some new packages. Mostly UI tweaks and internal refactoring, but you get a new physics shape for free ^^ The ChainShape is basically the same as the LoopShape, except it doesn't loop. It's useful for level geometry.

Edit: Also, you can now define your own tools for the RigidBodyEditor. In your editor plugin, just create a new class that derives from RigidBodyEditorTool and you're good to go. All the default tools are now implemented that way. Consider it experimental for now, but it's likely a feature that is here to stay - even though its shape might evolve over time.

PostPosted: 2016/06/07, 21:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wrote an overview on the development cycle of Duality on the Wiki - for new core developers and interested contributors.

PostPosted: 2016/06/08, 20:55 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Role: Hobbyist
Adam wrote:
Wrote an overview on the development cycle of Duality on the Wiki - for new core developers and interested contributors.

Great! As done with my exams today, hope I can do some contribution during the summer.
Edit: These guides hopefully encourage others to do so. :]

PostPosted: 2016/06/08, 22:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice :)

loeller wrote:
Edit: These guides hopefully encourage others to do so. :]

That's the plan! Or, one of the plans, rather. Another one is conserving and providing internal knowledge about the project to gradually make Duality core development less exclusive and more of a team endeavor.

PostPosted: 2016/06/12, 22:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recently did some internal refactoring to clean up the static DualityApp class and essentially extracted plugin management into the separate CorePluginManager class. If you are developing based on the most recent master branch, let me know if any plug (re-)load related issues come up.

Also fixed issue #252 in the process.

PostPosted: 2016/06/19, 14:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

More progress on the tilemaps branch!

There is now a TilemapCollider Component that will transform any amount of input Tilemap-Collisionlayer pairs and mesh them into a set of shapes for an attached RigidBody. This will allow you to create a single RigidBody for world collision and hook it up to the Tilemaps you're using. It also keeps track of the exact shapes it created, so you can also add your own.

And here's some editor footage of me walking around in the sample map with the test actor:

I've added a raycast in movement direction, so the actor will slow down on its own a bit when approaching a wall. I thought it was a bit immersion-breaking when you can just run head-first into a wall at full force and your character will just do it, so I'm testing this approach to make movement feel more natural.

PostPosted: 2016/06/19, 15:05 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Adam wrote:
More progress on the tilemaps branch!
The Tilemap plugin is coming together very nicely, I'd say. It's probably completely functional now, I think.

The footage looks great, as well. And yeah, slowing down on approach is actually a pretty good idea. It's such a little thing, but it makes a difference when it's there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next