Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2019/10/19, 05:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 2015/04/16, 14:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
I'm thinking about slowly taking steps towards making Duality a cross-platform engine. I've got no time to implement anything right now, but doing some concepts on the side and keeping my eyes open can't hurt. There will be some big changes in the planned 2.0 update to prepare for this. I'll let you know as soon as I know the specifics.

PostPosted: 2015/04/21, 14:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just submitted Duality to some Software Quality Award. Given the fact that the guy behind this appears to be some kind of OOP extremist, I'm not sure that was a good idea :mrgreen: Anyway, what harm could a free code review do? Feel free to join me and submit your own projects. This could get interesting ^^

PostPosted: 2015/04/24, 11:53 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The more I think about it, the more I realize that making Duality a multi-platform engine should not be my primary goal in Version 2.0 efforts. Other people are far more experienced in porting code and deploying on different platforms, and Duality has always been an engine that allows others to get creative and push its limits.

I shouldn't focus on porting Duality. I should focus on making it portable.

What I mean is: I should focus on making it as easy as possible to introduce Duality to new platforms. Because this is where experience with Duality itself really pays off, where others would get most likely into trouble when porting Duality and consequently - where my own efforts are most effective.

PostPosted: 2015/04/24, 20:36 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Adam wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I realize that making Duality a multi-platform engine should not be my primary goal in Version 2.0 efforts. Other people are far more experienced in porting code and deploying on different platforms, and Duality has always been an engine that allows others to get creative and push its limits.

I shouldn't focus on porting Duality. I should focus on making it portable.

What I mean is: I should focus on making it as easy as possible to introduce Duality to new platforms. Because this is where experience with Duality itself really pays off, where others would get most likely into trouble when porting Duality and consequently - where my own efforts are most effective.

Just a question: does it need to be ported? As far as I can tell, anything that you write using Microsoft's references can be used in linux/mac systems without too much work, and sometimes you don't need to do a thing.

PostPosted: 2015/04/24, 20:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RockyTV wrote:
Just a question: does it need to be ported? As far as I can tell, anything that you write using Microsoft's references can be used in linux/mac systems without too much work, and sometimes you don't need to do a thing.

Mono (Linux / Mac) has a very big coverage of the .Net Framework, but not 100% - and then there is platform-specific stuff in OpenTK and whatnot. I agree that it shouldn't be too much work, but when it comes to portability, assuming that it doesn't run until proven otherwise is not a bad tactic.

Also, there are other platforms than Windows, Linux and Mac as well. ^^

PostPosted: 2015/04/26, 16:08 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
Are we talking about the IDE itself or the compiled game executable?

PostPosted: 2015/04/26, 19:16 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
eyeliner wrote:

I think both.

PostPosted: 2015/04/26, 22:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RockyTV wrote:
eyeliner wrote:

I think both.

Just the game executable, actually. Which includes core library, launcher and non-editor plugins, as well as all the infrastructure required to get third-party plugins "portable by default".

The IDE is pretty entangled in WinForms, WinAPI and native calls - rather than spending a huge amount of time trying to get that portable, I'd probably just wipe all UI code and completely rewrite it on top of a multi-platform UI system. Which is not going to happen unless I'd somehow get to work full time on Duality, or could otherwise allocate a huge long-term time slot for this.

PostPosted: 2015/04/26, 23:30 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
I thought so. I am in agreement with that option. Keeping the IDE windows only is something other frameworks also do and there doesn't seem to be anything negative to them.

Too bad I'm just useless to help you in this (i.e. I don't even know where to start.).

PostPosted: 2015/04/27, 10:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

eyeliner wrote:
Too bad I'm just useless to help you in this (i.e. I don't even know where to start.).

Well, this will probably not be finished soon anyway - but once it gets close, I could use some testers for both core stability (just regular "use Duality for stuff", really) and some programmers with non-Windows platform experience to experiment whether a port to their platform was possible, and what could be done to improve portability.

Anyway, nothing much to do right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next