Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/06/06, 03:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 2015/08/29, 00:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
More recent portability work. Nothing spectacular, but still progress. In these latest iterations, making Duality portable seems to consist mostly of sorting bits of engine code into the parts that can run anywhere (A) and the parts that depend on platform or target framework (B). Next, put everything under B into backend plugins, until only A remains - and make sure everything is clean and tidy.

I'll have to focus on the last bits of my thesis this month, but most of it is done. I might be able to find some Duality-time inbetween, we'll see.

Another important point: With a potential v2.0 release slowly approaching (Still quite a bit away though), I need testers. Unlike the binary release, which will remain at v1.x for now, the current master branch on GitHub features the latest Duality version, so if you're brave enough to build it all yourself and use that instead of the latest binaries - go ahead! I'm counting on you. ;)

With enough of you using the source-only preview of v2.0 ahead of time, hopefully, we'll manage to release a stable version 2.0 using package manager and binaries right from the beginning and can avoid the usual major version step hiccups.

PostPosted: 2015/08/30, 23:06 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
Sir, yessir!
I'll try to do that this week.

PostPosted: 2015/09/01, 23:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally! It is done. Duality, all of its default core plugins, and the default game plugin project template are now Portable Class Libraries. All platform-dependent code has been moved into backend plugins.

This was a big step. It took five months to complete and required the most thorough refactoring the Duality project has experienced until now. It was a first and important step towards multi-platform support, but surely not the last one. In any case.. I'm just incredibly glad that it worked out so far :D

PostPosted: 2015/09/02, 08:16 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Hurray :D! I'm sure all that refactoring will be worth it.

PostPosted: 2015/09/04, 14:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just committed a camera controller sample / testbed project to the master repository. If you're building Duality yourself, you can just open the Duality solution in Visual Studio, rebuild the solution, set the CameraController sample as startup project and run it.

If you're using Duality's binary packages, the new sample won't be available yet. It will be available in the package manager as soon as the v2.0 release is done.

PostPosted: 2015/09/10, 17:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Doing some long-overdue work in the file import, or, as I just renamed it, the Asset Import system. Each IAssetImporter can now handle any amount of input files from the users dragdrop operation, allowing to handle complex multi-file Assets.

If more than a single importer is able to handle a set of files, a user dialog will ask which one to use.

I've also revamped the importer API so there is no longer a visible distinction between import and re-import. To see an example of this, here is the new Pixmap importer implementation. I've added a lot of comments, to give you an overview. ^^

Since I'm not finished yet, you can find the latest version in the asset_management_wip branch. I'll merge it back before the v2.0 release, so this will certainly be among the new features.

PostPosted: 2015/09/10, 19:08 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
Adam wrote:
Doing some long-overdue work in the file import, or, as I just renamed it, the Asset Import system. Each IAssetImporter can now handle any amount of input files from the users dragdrop operation, allowing to handle complex multi-file Assets.

If more than a single importer is able to handle a set of files, a user dialog will ask which one to use.

I've also revamped the importer API so there is no longer a visible distinction between import and re-import. To see an example of this, here is the new Pixmap importer implementation. I've added a lot of comments, to give you an overview. ^^

Since I'm not finished yet, you can find the latest version in the asset_management_wip branch. I'll merge it back before the v2.0 release, so this will certainly be among the new features.

Awesome!

And, I have a question:
Quote:

What happens if you have different files (say .png and .xyz), can you import both at the same time?

PostPosted: 2015/09/10, 19:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RockyTV wrote:
And, I have a question:
Quote:

What happens if you have different files (say .png and .xyz), can you import both at the same time?

As long as every importer deals with its own stuff, they just work alongside each other. Say, you drag a .png and a .ogg into the Project View at once: Both the Pixmap- and the AudioData importer will respond, each handling one of the two files. As a result, you'll end up with a Pixmap and an AudioData Resource, and you won't get a user dialog, because there is no conflict to solve.

If, however, you add a new importer that tries to handle .png as well, now you'll have two importers "struggling" for the privilege of handling the new incoming image files. In that case, you will get a user dialog, asking you which one to use. If you add another .ogg into the mix, the user dialog will only deal with the .png conflict, while the AudioData importer just does its work.

Edit: Ah, I just realized you were probably asking for something else:
Yes, an importer can handle any amount and combination of files. You can handle more than one file type in a single importer and even combine them into a single Resource.

PostPosted: 2015/09/11, 12:55 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Hobbyist
Good job!

I wonder the knowledge you must have to handle all of this on your own. Color me impressed.
You truly have amazing skills.

PostPosted: 2015/09/12, 13:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new AssetManagement system has been merged back into the master and is now "live" for testing. The v2.0 release milestone slowly approaches :)

eyeliner wrote:
I wonder the knowledge you must have to handle all of this on your own. Color me impressed.
You truly have amazing skills.

Uhm... thanks ^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next