game development and casual madness
It is currently 2020/02/23, 22:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2016/01/16, 23:06 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Role: Gamer
warning: simplicity overflow ahead

Today I present you my first game made with Duality! It is called Dodging Cubes, and, as the name suggests, the objective of the game is to dodge falling cubes!

I wanted to make a frogger clone in Duality, but I thought I could start with something more simple, so here it is. Here's a gif showing a bit of gameplay:

Gfycat Video - Click to Play. [Source]

Download it now!
Also available on itch.io

I'd appreciate if you guys gave me ideas and feedback to improve the game!

Last edited by RockyTV on 2016/01/18, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 2016/01/16, 23:46 

Role: Hobbyist
Sweet! I like the menus a lot, the subtle highlighting feels clean and responsive. Here are a couple of suggestions if you decide to add to this:

1. Add a score counter during game play! It'd be nice to see your score as you're playing.

2. Maybe some background graphics? Even something simple like faded out cubes falling in the background, just to give it a bit more of a lively vibe.

3. Scaling difficulty with time? Maybe make the cubes fall faster as your score increases. Right now it's pretty easy to not lose.

4. This is a long shot but: Power ups!?

PostPosted: 2016/01/17, 02:09 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

ARC wrote:
Sweet! I like the menus a lot, the subtle highlighting feels clean and responsive.

Thanks! Also, a shoutout to SirePi that has created the Basic Menu sample!

ARC wrote:
Here are a couple of suggestions if you decide to add to this:
1. Add a score counter during game play! It'd be nice to see your score as you're playing.

Noted. I just couldn't find a place to add it in the current screen, so I decided to remove it. But I realized how stupid I was to do that!

ARC wrote:
2. Maybe some background graphics? Even something simple like faded out cubes falling in the background, just to give it a bit more of a lively vibe.

That's an awesome idea! I just have to think of how I would do it. I don't know, perhaps I can code a shader (if shaders can be used for this particular reason?), or make an animated sprite.

ARC wrote:
3. Scaling difficulty with time? Maybe make the cubes fall faster as your score increases. Right now it's pretty easy to not lose.

Making them fall faster would be a bit difficult I think. I don't know how I can speed up the fall time of a physics-driven object.

If you see my code, you'll see that the code for spawning cubes is just a barebones. I pretty much spawn a new cube at a random position every 2 seconds. I need to find a better way to do this, perhaps even create a reliable spawnrate that can be increased to increase difficulty.

ARC wrote:
4. This is a long shot but: Power ups!?

Power-ups wouldn't be too bad... thanks for reminding me of them!

PostPosted: 2016/01/17, 08:55 
Novice Member
Novice Member

RockyTV wrote:
Making them fall faster would be a bit difficult I think. I don't know how I can speed up the fall time of a physics-driven object.

You could probably just add your own downward force to the rigidbody every update. The force would add with the force due to gravity and make it fall faster. If your downward force is dependent on game time, then the difficulty would ramp up over time.

To have a variable spawn rate, create a GameObject that is responsible for spawning and give it a property for your spawn rate. Then in Update, if the correct amount of time has passed, spawn a cube. Now you just need to find a way to update that property - time, level, or chosen difficulty are all simple options.

Code:
private float m_SpawnRateCounter;
public float SpawnRate {get; set;} = 2f;

public void Update()
{
    m_SpawnRateCounter += Time.TimeMult;

if (m_SpawnRateCounter > SpawnRate){
        m_SpawnRateCounter = 0f;
        SpawnCubeAtRandomPosition();
    }
}

PostPosted: 2016/01/17, 13:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
RockyTV wrote:
Today I present you my first game made with Duality! It is called Dodging Cubes, and, as the name suggests, the objective of the game is to dodge falling cubes!

Congratulations to your first game prototype with Duality! Nice and simple gameplay, I like it :)

Here's how I would probably try to proceed from there:

1. Create a first playable prototype: Done. Next!
  2. Extend the core gameplay and iterate on it until it's a fun and replayable highscore race.
  3. Start the polishing phase: Add more player feedback, nice graphics, audio, etc.
  4. Release and proceed with your next game.

Some of our feedback is for point 2, some of it is for the third one. I'd suggest to focus on the #2 stuff first and go back to our old #3 comments later. Gameplay is more important than looks.

That said, I'd second what ARC said: This game really needs a highscore and rising difficulty level! If you also add powerups, you could achieve a neat "race" between the collected powerups / capabilities and difficulty level. While the game gets more difficult on its own, the player would be forced to collect powerups to prevent it from getting too hard. Score could simply be an indicator for the survived time.

Ideas for rising difficulty:
  • Faster falling blocks
  • More blocks
  • No bigger blocks maybe, that could be perceived as unfair / undodgeable
  • Occasional "crazy" modes for a few (10?) seconds, like "rainfall mode" where a LOT of really small blocks are spawning. The duration and frequency of these modes could slowly increase with time.

Ideas for powerups:
  • Reduce falling block speed (counter rising difficulty)
  • Reduce block frequency (counter rising difficulty)
  • Increase player speed (only to a certain maximum speed, can't control it properly after that)
  • Freeze all blocks in place (and don't spawn new) for 3 seconds
  • Stop the crazymode timer for 10 seconds

jdean300 wrote:
RockyTV wrote:

You could probably just add your own downward force to the rigidbody every update. The force would add with the force due to gravity and make it fall faster. If your downward force is dependent on game time, then the difficulty would ramp up over time.

Adding to this, if you select the Scene in the project view, you can disable its gravity in the object inspector altogether, so you can move all falling blocks completely manually. Might make it easier to control if the only influence to them is explicitly in your own code.

PostPosted: 2016/01/17, 13:24 
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hey!
It's a nice little game, thanks for sharing it!
However, I suggest to add some more features, it feels rather a prototype, than a finished game at the moment.
I agree, that increasing the difficulty over time would be a great, yet not too lengthy thing to implement. Faster falling squares is the obvious option, to counter that, the player's moving speed could be increasing over time. Or, which is more challenging, the player should collect other falling objects (circles?), in order to increase it's speed, and have better chance to survive.

ARC wrote:

That's also a good idea, but make sure, that these graphics are obviously different, than the "real" and "dangerous" squares. For example, by blurring them (most of free image manipulating software are capable of that). IMO you could easily create great visuals combining different blur levels with different Z positions, using the parallax camera feature. Creating custom shaders seems overkill to me at the moment.

RockyTV wrote:

I haven't tried that, but it should be possible to change the global gravity by code...

I hope, that you find my suggestions helpful :)
Keep on good work, loeller

PostPosted: 2016/01/18, 14:24 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

That's a very nice game! Congratulations on releasing it ^^ hope to see it improving.

As everyone else said, it needs some kind of difficulty ramp-up with time, maybe increasing the gravity little by little...
or you could calculate points depending on how near your square is to the enemy ones (the closer, the faster points accumulate).

Also, please make it that pressing ESC on game over doesn't quit the game but sends you back to the main menu :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: 2016/01/18, 17:34 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I hope I'll have a new release in a few days or so.

Meanwhile, I created a page for the game on itch.io. You can check it out here.

PostPosted: 2016/03/05, 15:40 
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

It's been a while, but I've finally managed to update the game! I can say that the spawn system was tricky, but I figured a way to make the game more challenging!

v0.1.0 - March 5, 2016
  • Renamed project namespace to DodgingCubes
  • Added a score counter inside the game
  • Decreased the maximum size of the falling squares: from 4 to 1
  • Game will now increase difficulty at every second. Cubes will fall slower or faster depending on the difficulty and their size (smaller cubes fall faster)