Adam's Lair Forum

game development and casual madness
It is currently 2018/11/20, 20:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 2017/07/05, 01:52 

Role: Hobbyist
I don't think this is strictly a Duality issue, but something with my environment.

It used to be (wish I could say when, but it has been a while since I have tried to do this) I could have Duality open my code in Visual Studio, I could set breakpoints, then debug the game via the Duality editor and it would be handled by the Visual Studio debugger. Now, however, I'm seeing the just-in-time debugging message pop up and providing only one option: start with new instance of VS. Obviously I would like to use the existing solution so I could use the breakpoints and source files I already have opened, but it isn't available.

I thought that maybe I had messed up the solution or project somehow in Visual Studio so Duality was running something different somehow and so VS didn't pick up on it being the same, so I downloaded a fresh version of the editor. Unfortunately trying to debug that still had the same issue.

Googling has revealed similar issues, but mostly around disabling JIT or administrator rights issues that I don't seem to be having. If anyone else has had a similar experience or knows what I have messed up, input would make be appreciated.

My environment details:
- Windows 8.1, 64-bit
- Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition, version 15.2 (26430.6)
- Fresh Duality download with everything up-to date (as of 2017-04-04)
*I was initially not running any of the programs as administrator, though I did try the different combinations of the Duality editor and VS as administrator to no effect

PostPosted: 2017/07/05, 18:53 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Role: Professional
Hey there!

Yep, this sounds like it's a VS / .Net issue, as Duality pretty much just calls System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Launch after the game launches when you hit the Debug button in the editor. Not sure how exactly VS / .Net works in that regard, but I think there are some Windows registry entries related to this, JIT Debugging was a keyword as far as I recall. Not sure if that helps though :|

As a workaround for now, the default project / solution is configured that you should be able to just hit F5 / the Play button in Visual Studio itself in order to run the game with the debugger attached to it. You can also attach VS to a running process somewhere in the Debug menu of VS, which works with both the launcher and the editor.

PostPosted: 2017/07/07, 04:37 

Role: Hobbyist
Well, it was worth a shot.

Yeah, I can debug from VS without any issues so all isn't lost at least! Thanks for taking the time to answer.